do you ever feel like you’re not heard? this could be why
- Do you wish you could feel more heard or appreciated?
- Do you feel like you’re always the one giving in a relationship and never getting anything back?
- Do you wonder what you’re doing wrong?
If you answered YES to any of those questions, you’re definitely not alone.
And you’re not wrong for wanting to feel validated or heard.
Or to get as much as you’re putting out back from the people you care about.
This is something I used to struggle with a lot, especially in various jobs I held in the past.
It seemed like the more I gave, the more depleted I felt.
The more I tried to be compassionate and listen to other people’s issues, the more confused and tangled I felt at the end of the day, even if I started out feeling super bubbly and happy.
Which made me feel angry and resentful and confused because I didn’t want to stop being a “nice” person.
Why did this keep happening?
What I learned:
I was/am empathic.
My sensitivity to the emotions and feelings of other people is a gift, but it’s a gift that is my job to MANAGE.
So that it doesn’t run me.
What was happening is that I was connecting with everyone I met from a heart space.
This did a few things:
- It made me very easy to talk to and I learned a lot about people in a short amount of time because they felt safe and heard around me.
- I didn’t yet understand that I could be compassionate and caring without always operating from a heart-space. (what other space WAS there?)
- Being in my heart space all the time made it very easy for me to mesh emotional energies with whoever I was around. It was like our wires got crossed and the result was a crazy web of colors and strings that weren’t even mine, but that now were on my radar, coloring my thoughts, feelings and moods. I felt out of control and annoyed!
In a nutshell, what I had to learn to stop being the emotional doormat empath was to train myself to go in and out of my heart-space into other energetic spaces so that I could be there for myself and others without going into crazy mixing/matching/meshing land!
Q: Have you ever felt overrun by the emotions of other people? What has helped YOU to manage this? Share with us in the comments below!
ps: Would you like to learn how to get out of your heart space and into greater balance?
If so, RSVP here for my upcoming free community training call, “Top 3 Pitfalls to Avoid in Decision-Making!” (recording available if you can’t make it live).
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!